Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Elderly...

I hate the doctors. I hate getting shots and having thing stuffed up my nose. But I have had some serious allergies so I had to go see what they could do. New family doctor was super cool. Anyways, he gave me some drugs that should help, and since I had eaten lunch, getting my blood drawn was a no go. DARN. So disappointed.... OH WELL... Got my prescription and off I went to the pharmacy!

Handed them pharmacists my sheets and was told to wait about 10 minutes or so. As I did, I saw this elderly couple just chillin, probably waiting for their meds as well. We all know them elders have to have their drugs too!

But as I was people watching them it just reminded me of how this heart of mine for some strange reason just feels all different towards them. I don't know what it is about elderly people that strikes me so hardcore. It was an elderly man and woman who seemed to be at least in their 70s-80s. And who knows, they probably have been married for over 30-40 years or so. And at that age, as the gentleman that he still was, he assisted the love of his life up from her chair, got her coat and helped her put it on, and walked 5 feet to the counter, holding hands. They got their meds, and headed out of the place, still holding hands. Of course I was all "awww cute" and whatnot, but I just don't know what it is. That couple that I have never met and will probably never see again have shown me that the whole love thing is everlasting and that "special someone" we all wait for, will probably be just as beautiful as the day you met them.

Every time I see old people shuffling down the aisle at Wal-Mart, or driving in their little old Caddie, my heart does that thing that I can not explain. Haha sure this may seem kinda "gay" to some or whatever, but I'm serious when I say that my heart goes out to them. I've learned that I am an extrovert. I tend to care more about other people before myself. (Sometimes thats great, other times, it may not be) I just always feel so helpless for that old lady that has to go all the way from their comfy chair at home, drive a car and hope that they don't get killed in this world of crazy teenage drivers, and try to make it back home. What seems like a daily errand might be an adventure for them. Idk. Maybe I'm just bein too mushy and underestimating them. Some people I know make fun of old people. They sometimes yell at them if they happen to make a mistake on the road. C'mon now! Give 'em a break! They're wearing glasses as thick as bulletproof glass.

Again I feel like I'm just being too much of a softy or whatever you want to call it. But I'm just saying, I value the elders of this world. If you think about it, they are the most wisest people. It's crazy but they have lived far longer than you have. Sure they might not know about all the high tech gadgets and gizmos that us kids are runnin around these days, but they don't need it. Remember when the iPod came out? BOOM all us kids HAD to get one of those. I'm pretty sure when the slinky came out, BOOM, instant satisfaction. Too many of us underestimate the value of elderly people in the world. My grandparents must be the greatest heroes ever. I look up to them so much because boy have they been there done that.

Have you ever sat down with an old person? (And just to clarify when I say, "old" I'm talkin about the white haired, cane walkin, big glasses, at least 60+ yrs old) But anyways, every time I sit with someone's grandma or grandpa and I just hang out with them, I can tell that it's gonna be a great day when they can just pretty much pour out their life to you. Every Wednesday or so (when I have been able to) I have set out about an hour of my time of the day to sit down and just have conversation with one of the elders of our church. She's one of the young ones but shes def a grandma. I think it's the greatest thing ever when we bring up a subject and BAM she gets all excited and just starts rambling on and on and on about the craziest things ever. We can start talking about how nice of a day it is outside and before you know it, we are talking about how she got her driving lessons. Sure, this may NOT be on ANYONES to do list these days. I mean look at our society and how AWESOME the attention span is. Kids would rather watch a 2 hour movie rather than spend hours reading the full story in a book. I'm kinda hypocritical when I say this. But I am def a person who would watch a full out musical or play instead of just watching the movie. I am a person who would sit with an old person and find value and entertainment in having them just tell me their life story.

Leviticus 19:32 "Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God."

Even though they may sometimes be slow and not "all there", there is great value withing old people and their wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment