Monday, May 24, 2010

Prom! Again?

Ahhh! What a fun weekend! So my friend from church had asked me a couple weeks ago if I had wanted to go to prom with her. I was totally down!

It's actually very surprising that she asked me. Because boy do we have a history with school dances, or rather, a lack of history with school dances. Ever since forever and a day I had known of this girl from my youth group, but never really "knew" her. When I became a sophomore in high school, she had started her freshman year and so we both started legit talking to each other (mainly because we went to the same school). Every year in high school there are a couple school dances that happen. The first one of the year was the homecoming dance where the guys would ask the girls. This was when I was still trying to break my bubble so I was still a shy kid. Outgoing, full of energy, Josh the Magic Man did not fully exist yet. Anyways, it was that time where everyone had started asking their dates with all sorts of fun creative ways. My friends were getting together a group so I had to get me a date right quick! Who else could I go to rather than the pretty girl I had just become friends with that also went to my church! I knew her twin brother too so I decided to try and get some deets as to how I could "creatively" ask her to the dance. I found out she likes goldfish. Boom. What can I do with that. After days of putting it off I just went and did it. I went over to her house while she was away, got her brother to show me where her room was, and on her bed I laid a bowl of goldfish with a card saying "Out of all the fish in the sea, you're the only one for me! Homecoming 06?"

Yeah. Go ahead. Let it out. Don't worry. Me and her are also still laughing about it to this day.

She called me shortly after she saw the message and I got the no go. FAIL.

Fast forward two years later, my senior year, her junior year. By now we had developed a super good relationship. It was good! Through our conversations I found out that she had no boy, no one to go to homecoming with. So once again I mustered up the courage to once again ask her. Let's remember that two years ago I was the shy little boy who legit used goldfish. Haha. This time I had a more better plan. For a while I had been running the powerpoint slides at youth group for Wednesday night gatherings. This was to be the night I would go at it. I had my flowers all ready to go under the sound board. The night went as usual and right at the end before everyone peaced out, I was given the "ok" to do it. After the last slide, I had made another slide with my pic and her pic on it saying "Homecoming '08?" BOOM. Everyone in the room (all 60 or so people) saw this but no matter, I was looking for her! Busted out the flowers, she said yes, DONE. We were ready to go.... or were we....

Long story short, we did not end up going. I told her we had to cancel because mainly I did not want her, my good church friend, to be exposed to the nonsense that would've happened in the group I was in. Fail. No go. I was mad I made such a stupid decision (1.To tell her we weren't going and 2.That I was going to be in a bad group) She was even more upset. EPIC fail. Anyways we eventually came to terms and things started to get ok again... until "that one girl" decided to come out of nowhere and put me under an evil spell, destroying my relationships with homecoming girl and a bunch of others.

Fast forward to present time aka spring '10. I was just finishing up my freshmen year in college and she was nearing the end of her senior year and pretty much her entire high school education. The end of the year jr/sr Prom was coming around. She was looking for a date,asked me to go, I said yes, no bailing. Good to go. Done.

We met for pictures (Side note: The girl that I went to homecoming with 2 years ago was in our group! Great friend. AND I also realized another great friend of mine was going to be in our group. Didn't know that. Totally had a blast, made the whole night even more rockin) ANYWAYS, my date looked stunning (might I point out, I ALWAYS have the prettiest girls as dates), photo op, stretch limo, dinner at Landrys (yummmm seafood) danced the night away at some jewish temple while them high schoolers were like "it's Josh the Magic Man! What are you doing here?/ Same reason you're here silly! hahaha, back to her crib for pool party, after prom at the high school, after-after prom at her crib (clean fun of course), scary movie watching, no sleep and off to church to work.

Overall it was super fun. We finally went to a dance after 4 years of failures (my fault) but in the end the weekend was fun!

Although I kinda sensed that I was just "a guy to go with" because I guess she still had feelings for her ex-bf. WHATEVES haha no big deal. We just went as friends aaaanyways!

And to top it all off, I'd say this dance was kinda like the senior prom I never had since last year when I went, it was an epic failure. Great success!!!

"Out of all the fish in the sea, you're the only one for me!"

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Who knew you could be SO stinkin' cheesy? Oh yeah, I did! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete