Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy THANKSgiving 2010 Everyone!

This is so cliche haha. Writing a post about things I'm thankful for. But, I still want to acknowledge the things that I have to be thankful for and what better of a way then to share it with you!

1. Technology
-Blackberry, Twitter, television, Youtube, Yahoo, PS3, Gmail, Skype, and of course, Facebook! Too many people take all those things for granted. I believe this past year I heard a statement about how here in America we enjoy having multiple televisions and laptops in our homes whereas everywhere else in the world, you would be lucky if you had ONE tv in your house. After Lent this past year, and a computer fast somewhere in between, I was able to let go of my addiction to technology and give it to God. I now view it all as a privilege that I am grateful to have everyday.

2. Driver's License
-You would have to really know me to understand why a driver's license would even make it to the top ten list of things to be thankful for. And if you really knew me you would know how much I appreciate the little things in life. I am thankful to have the certification that allows me to operate a motor vehicle so that I can provide myself and other transportation. Sure, I may not have gotten it at 16 years of age like everyone around me. But I am thankful for all the friends that were generous enough to give me a ride to places all the way till the end of high school, and for the year after that. Every time I get behind the wheel of a car I thank God for giving me the opportunity to drive that car.

3. Magic
-Not very often do you come across a person that can take almost any random object and do something 'cool' with it that would trick a lay person's eyes. I am so thankful that God has given me the unique talent to be able to entertain others with my illusions. I am grateful for the ability to think a little more outside the box than others and be able to take that thought process and mix some creativity into it and have an entertaining outcome that brings smiles to many. I am thankful for the ability to entertain everyone of all ages and for the great tool that I can utilize in connecting with others.

4. Education
-Knowledge is valuable. There so are so many kids in the world that don't even have the opportunity to get even a basic education. I am thankful that my parents taught me the value of learning and how they encouraged me as best as they could through my years of education. And in the end of 12 years, I was able to get that diploma. Even though I do not currently have the finances to be able to go full time at college, I am still thankful that I was able to get accepted in the first place AND that I am able to attend 2 classes. Two is better than none! And that, I am VERY grateful for.

5. Family
-Despite how I sometimes feel about my family, I will honestly say that I am thankful for them. I am thankful that my parents have pushed through it all and are still together. I am thankful for a younger sister who can call me her big brother (when we're not fighting). I am thankful that my family supports me in who I am and who I want to be. Even though we are nothing close to an "average" family, I am grateful to still have people to call my mom, dad, and sister.

6. Home
-A couple of these things that I am thankful for are things that most people take for granted. I think that one of the biggest ones that people overlook is the roof that is currently over their head, the heat that is keeping them warm, and the walls that protect them from the outside weather. I am VERY thankful that I am able to call the basement of our house my own little living space. I have a bed room where I can hang pictures and a dresser where I can keep all my clothes and a comfortable bed that I can sleep on. Then I am thankful for the entertainment system I have outside of my bedroom in the mini "living room area" that is a part of the basement. As my grandparents have taught my parents, and my parents have taught me, I thank God for giving me a place to live in where I can return the favor by opening the doors for others to have a place to hang out and fellowship.

7. Food
-I could totally just be thankful for 'food' in general, but I serious must thank God for one of his greatest creations ever, Chipotle Mexican Grill. (Dangit, just writing about this is making me want one!) AS I WAS SAYING, I am thankful that God provides me with food everyday. I was raised to always be thankful for every ounce of food that I receive and to pray for those who may be less fortunate than I am. It's kind of entertaining to sometimes see my friends when they sometimes get picky over what kind of food they get. But I am grateful for whatever kind of food is laid before me and thank the Lord for his blessings.... Especially when He wants to bless me with a steak-fajita buritto with hot sauce, sour cream, and lettuce from Chipotle... :-)

8. Music
-Amongst the many other talents that God has blessed me with, I am truly grateful for the ability to not only play music, but to use it to bring praises and glory to His name. Since there was no one to teach me how to play music, I thank God for guiding my fingers to where I was eventually able to have learned how to play the guitar and the piano all by myself. I am so grateful for the passion that I have to worship the Lord through music. And through this passion I was able to pull together a band of fellow musicians with the same passion as me. I thank God for all the opportunities I have to praise Him whether it be in the solitude of my basement or with many others.

9. Letha
-I could go on for days for why I am thankful for her. And I don't want to make it corny/cheesy or whatever. But I do want to tell everyone (and her, as well) that I thank God each and everyday for giving me the greatest girl I could ever imagine into my life. As hard as I try I can not simply put into words how blessed I am to have someone who cares for me just as much as I care about them in a special way that can't even be described itself. I truly believe that God has put her into my life for a bigger reason that I can even try to imagine. Instead, I just thank Him for every single moment I get to spend with her and for everything we have gone through and everything we will go through and for her family and how they have accepted me into their own. I do believe I love her and forever and ever I will be grateful for her.

10. God
-Over and over again in the Bible, there are numerous people singing and shouting praises to the Lord God above for all the marvelous works He has done. I want to make sure that today and every moment that I live, that I thank God for sending His Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for my sins so that I may eternally be a part of His Kingdom. I am thankful for the God who created me and has shaped me to be the person I am today, because if it were not for Him and His abounding grace, I would just be a nobody. I am thankful for His unfailing, never ending Love that He continues to show me each day.


"Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; His Love endures forever." [Psalms 106:1]

Today I got to spend Thanksgiving with my family and Letha's family. In the days leading up to it I was kind of nervous as to how it would go. Surprisingly (and thankfully) it went much better than I thought it would! I have said this already, yet I will say it a thousand times more, I am thankful for the Plecker family and especially for Letha. I am looking forward to more Thanksgiving dinners with her and her family and my family in the years to come. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!



No comments:

Post a Comment